Classic Caprese Salad with Balsamic Glaze
It’s hard to beat the classic flavour combination of fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil in this Classic Caprese Salad.
But this version of that classic salad takes things to a whole new level by adding a rich and syrupy balsamic glaze in the place of the regular vinegar dressing.
Match this with a really good quality extra virgin olive oil and you have just what it takes to make this classic shine!
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 12 oz. fresh mozzarella, large ball
- 1 large bunch fresh basil, washed and dried
- 3 T. really good extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 cup of balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and fresh-cracked black pepper, to taste
- Thoroughly wash and pat tomatoes and fresh basil dry.
- Slice tomatoes, working from top to bottom, into evenly sized slices approximately ¼” thick, and set aside. Discard the bottom and top slices.
- Cut fresh mozzarella into ¼” thick slices, as well.
- On each plate, start with a tomato slice, followed by mozzarella and a large, fresh basil leaf. Repeat this pattern until you’ve added 1 tomato and approximately 3 oz. of mozzarella to each plate, finishing each arrangement with a tomato slice.
- Drizzle with high-quality extra virgin olive oil.
- To make the balsamic glaze, heat 1 cup of good balsamic vinegar over medium-high heat until it begins to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced to about 1/3 of its original volume, stirring continually.
- When the liquid becomes thick and syrupy, it is ready to use.
- Let the glaze cool slightly before drizzling over the fresh tomato, mozzarella and basil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with additional sprigs of fresh basil, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.