DISCLOSURE: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase. All opinions are my own, and I only recommend products that will add value for my readers.
Have you ever heard of a random act of kindness or RAOK if you’re into text speak?
It’s a little something you do for someone else, a friend or family member, or even a complete stranger, to put a little bit of happiness in their day.
Sometimes it’s the little things that make a big difference right?
So I was thinking. If we wanted a family tradition for the Holiday Season that meant we did something every day, why not make it count? Instead of having a creepy elf wreak havoc in my house why not sprinkle a little Goodwill around our neighbourhood.
Some RAOK Ideas for Your Family
Here’s some ideas to inspire you. And of course if you have some ideas of your own I’d love for you to share them in the comments.
- Leave a thank you card for your postman
- Pick up litter at the park
- Bake chocolate brownies and take them to your local fire or ambulance station
- Offer your seat to someone on the bus
- Buy a copy of your favourite book and give it to a friend
- Send someone you love a box full of hearts
- Collect up unwanted clothes and toys and donate them to charity
- Hang a candy cane on all the front doors in your street
- Send a care package to a soldier
- Create a kindness corner in your home or school
- Take some pet food along to the local animal shelter
- Rake leaves or shovel snow for an elderly neighbour
- Make a gift for your teacher
- Bake cookies for mum or dad’s coworkers to enjoy
- Leave a large tip for your waiter or waitress
- Adopt a soldier
- Find a handful of books you don’t read anymore and leave them around your neighbourhood for others to enjoy
- Give a coupon to someone else in the store
- Pay the toll for the driver behind you
- Donate your pocket money to charity
- Find a charity car wash event and have the car washed
- Write a letter to an elderly relative or friend
- Pop a store gift card in an envelope and leave it in a basket at the store for someone to find
- Fulfil an Angel Tree request
- Kind bomb the library
- Paint a picture and take it to the local nursing home
- Create some thank you cards and hand them out during your day
- Leave some crayons and a colouring book in the waiting room at the doctor’s
- Leave a penny in the street for someone to find
- Make a love message board and leave messages for your family
- Donate food to your local food bank or soup kitchen
- Buy popcorn for the person in line behind you at the movies
- Compliment five people to make them feel good
- Give a friend a hug
- Send a Happy Day package to a cousin who lives far away
- Recycle something in your home into a gift
- If you spend time in hospital then write thank you cards for your doctors and nurses