This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click on a link and purchase something. As an Etsy and Amazon Associate I earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Asian Beef & Rice
If your family are fans of takeout Asian food it’s time to save some money and add a healthier, homemade version to your meal plan.
This Instant Pot Asian Beef & Rice is delicious and is sure to become a family favourite.
If you’ve not made rice in your Instant Pot before it’s worth noting that there is quite a bit of variation when it comes to cooking it. This is because the correct settings and cooking times vary from one type of rice to another.
Before making this dish it’s worth reading this article on how to cook perfect rice in your Instant Pot.
In short the “Rice” setting is intended for white or parboiled rice only.
So for the long-grain brown rice used in this recipe you need to use the “Manual” setting on high and set the cooking time to 22-25 minutes, “depending on your preferences and any local issues, like high elevation.”
This recipe suggests 22 minutes as the active cooking time, but feel free to extend this time if you prefer softer rice.
You also need to note that this recipe includes a little more liquid than the 1:1 ratio recommended by the manufacturer to account for the added ingredients.
- 3 T. gluten-free soy sauce or coconut amino
- ¼ c. sesame oil, divided
- 2 T. honey
- 2 T. lime juice
- ½ t. garlic powder
- ½ t. onion powder
- 2 t. fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1½ lbs. stew beef, cubed
- 1¼ c. water or beef broth
- 1 c. long-grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 T. sesame seeds
- 3 T. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Combine soy sauce, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, honey, lime juice, garlic powder, onion powder, fresh ginger, and red pepper flakes in a glass or other non-reactive bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place the beef cubes into a sealable plastic bag and pour the marinade on top. Seal and gently turn the bag to thoroughly coat the beef. Marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, or place in the refrigerator overnight. Turn bag occasionally for even distribution of the marinade.
- To prepare, add remaining 2 tablespoons sesame oil to Instant Pot and press the “Sauté” button. Adjust the heat setting to high. Once hot, transfer the beef cubes to the Instant Pot and discard the remaining marinade. Brown the beef on all sides, approximately 3-4 minutes. Add the beef broth and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the container.
- Turn Instant Pot off and add brown rice. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Add lid and securely lock. Flip the pressure value to the “Sealing” position and press the “Manual” button. Adjust setting to high and set cook time for 22 minutes. After a brief pause, the Instant Pot will automatically start building pressure.
- When cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and chopped parsley, if desired.
- Serve immediately with your favorite sides. Enjoy!
Tip: For best results, marinate the beef the night before for the meat to develop more flavour.