This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click on a link and purchase something.
Instant Pot Homemade Dark Cherry BBQ Sauce
This homemade Instant Pot Dark Cherry BBQ sauce is sure to become a family favourite during cherry season!
It combines the natural sweetness of the cherries and maple syrup with the welcoming warmth of ginger, cinnamon, and rosemary.
If you take this BBQ sauce along to a pot luck or cook out be sure to bring the recipe because you can be sure folks will be asking for it!
Oh and for the best results you should prepare this recipe one or two days in advance.
While it’s tempting to get stuck in and start using it straight away the sauce really comes into its own one the flavours have had time to fully develop.
This really is a gluten free instant pot sauce that’s worth waiting for!
It’s the perfect match for our Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs too.
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 2½ c. fresh or frozen dark cherries, pitted
- 1 10-oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies, with liquid
- 3 T. apple cider vinegar
- 2 t. fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1½ t. ground cinnamon
- ½ t. smoked paprika
- 3 T. maple syrup
- 1 T. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 t. liquid smoke (optional)
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot and select the “Sauté” function on the high temperature setting. Add shallot and garlic and sauté until soft and slightly golden, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Turn Instant Pot off and add remaining ingredients, including the liquid from the tomatoes and the liquid smoke, if using. Stir to combine and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Add lid and lock into place. Make sure the valve is set to the “Sealing” position and set the “Manual” setting to high for 10 minutes. After a brief pause, the Instant Pot will automatically start building pressure.
- When finished cooking, do a quick release (QR) of the pressure according to the manufacturer’s suggestions before unlocking and removing the lid.
- Transfer the sauce to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days.
Note: For a thicker sauce, return to the Instant Pot and bring to a low boil using the “Sauté” function set to high.
Heat, stirring frequently, until the excess liquid is reduced and the sauce reaches the desired consistency.
More Recipe Ideas Here